Notable amongst the vessels built by W. S. Bailey and Co. is the pleasure yacht, GLENIFFER. She was delivered new to Vancouver in 1912 for owner Stuart Cameron. Her length is 40 feet, beam 9’ 6” and ten tons. She is carvel planked in 1” Burma teak, with a canoe stern. Wide clear ceiling planks are 5/8” teak, ribs are 1- 3/8” by 1 -7/8” teak copper fastened with rivets and bronze drift bolts. Her keel has a large section of scarfed in lead. She has several custom cast bronze fittings, such as her bow apron stem cap with fairleads. Original power was a Lycombing gasoline engine, U.S.A. Later, this was replaced by a six cylinder Kermath, then a Chrysler Crown. Her current engine is a Nissan Chrysler SD 33 diesel. There are two 50-gallon stainless fuel tanks aft and a copper water tank in the bow. Gear shifting at the helm is done with the original brass wheel. She can also be steered from the aft cockpit with her old cast iron removable hand tiller.
Throughout her life on the B.C. coast, GLENIFFER was very active in the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club. Later owners included the Commodore, R.M Maitland, followed by J.C. McPherson, then Ken Mair. Today, she is kept cruising from her boathouse on Saltspring Island, B.C. by long time owner Thomas Geoffrey Burnett, a coastal towboat Master with the Canadian Merchant Service Guild.
Salt Spring Island, BC
Canoe stern gentleman's power cruiser
|Number of Engines:|
Nissan Chrysler SD 33 6 cyl.
W.S. Bailey & Co.
|Documentation or State Reg. No.:|
Classic Yacht Assn.