COLNETT is a 42′ motor cruiser which was built in 1924 by Sea Craft Shipyard in Wilmington, Ca. She was originally built for Mr. Henry Vaughn, with sea trials and commissioning extending into early 1925. She was constructed to Edson B. Schock Design #307. The hull is carvel planked with cedar on bent oak frames. Her cabins are built of Select Teak with toung and grove decks canvas or fiberglass covered. The original power was an Eastern Standard Gasoline engine and is currently powered by a Caterpillar Model D320 4-Cylinder diesel engine. Changes from the original drawings include a modified window layout, an aft mast stepped to the top of the upper deck and fitted with a crows/nest viewing platform.
In 1938, she was sold to Captain Frank Bivens with the express intent of catching Broadbill Swordfish on Tuna Club regulation tackle. After World War II Mr. Bivens decided to travel and sold the boat to friend and fishing companion Mr. Ken Neptune. Both Mr. Neptune and Mr. Bivens were both one time presidents of the Tuna Club in Avalon, Ca. Mr. Neptune made many improvements to Colnett over the years and continued to use her for sportfising purposes until his passing. Sometime after the war the flybridge was added and in 1961 the original engine was replaced with her current Powerplant.
In 1997, the underbody was completely reconstructed with new planking, frames and fasteners by long beach shipwright Mr. Dennis Budd.
We Purchased Colnett in July of 2007 with the intentions of continuing her legacy of sportfishing and local cruising. We both get great pleasure in caring for her. With many projects completed, we have many more in our sights.
Steve Farwell & Bunker A Hill