41st Opera House Cup Regatta
The Opera House Cup Regatta, held off the shores of Nantucket, MA, is for classic wooden boats. The regatta is hosted by Nantucket Yacht Club and Great Harbor Yacht Club to benefit Nantucket Community Sailing, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The Opera House Cup is part of the Panerai North American Classic Yacht Challenge. Registration is available at www.operahousecup.org.
We have made significant enhancements to the race and hospitality this year:
- Updated Courses. Revised to improve overall course safety. Changes include replacement of two courses, moving start line further from ferry channel, and longer legs so each class has ample time to spread themselves out before reaching marks.
- Schedule Changes. It will be an earlier day overall, to provide an earlier start for the awards ceremony and OHC party. First warning will be moved to 1100.
- Starting Order Changes. Ensuring that all participants are equally engaged in the race, smaller, slower rated boats will start first at the beginning of the fleet.
- Additional Class. A fifth class to accommodate small and mid-sized yachts will be added. This additional class further spreads out the fleet at starts, mark roundings and provides more opportunities for silver.
- More Awards. Prizes for all five start classes of the OHC will be awarded . The expanded honors are in addition to the division awards for Classic and Spirit of Tradition, plus the Tiedemann Award, Gwen Gaillard Spirit of the Race award, Performance awards and overall awards.
- Cruising Yachts Honored. A special recognition is planned to honor the cruising yachts that have been the core of the OHC.
- Improved CRF reporting. A new CRF website will post current, valid CRF ratings. OHC will use this site to confirm ratings as well as post all CRF ratings that it receives on its registration site.
- Welcoming competitors and extending hospitality. Registered skippers may establish credit upon arrival at the Nantucket Yacht Club to purchase food and drinks, and for Nantucket Race Week’s registered Sail Nantucket (Aug. 16, 17) and Opera House Cup competitors, Nantucket Yacht Club is offering a limited number of complimentary moorings in the outer harbor. NYC reserves the right to allocate these moorings, and may require rafting depending on demand and the size of available moorings. For more information contact NYC at 508.228.1400. Otherwise skippers may reserve moorings directly through Nantucket Moorings at 508-228-4472 or dock space through Nantucket Boat Basin at 508.325.1350.