1939 12′ Dyer Jolly no. “R33” designed by Philip Rhodes and built by The Anchorage, Inc. in Warren, Rhode Island, USA. Recently rescued from a Pennsylvania barn and undergoing restoration.
The original owner was Joaquin M. Elizalde, Resident Commissioner of the Philippines and later the first Philippine Ambassador to the U.S. Elizalde purchased the Jollyboat in 1939 to serve as a tender for his 1935 70’ Alden motor yacht LIMBAS. In 1942, Philippine President Quezon, in exile in Washington, donated LIMBAS to the U.S. Coast Guard for patrol service. The yacht was renamed BATAAN, CG-68009, and manned by an all Filipino crew. Under the command of Ltjg. John B. Lacson (who had skippered LIMBAS before the war), one of the first Filipinos to earn a USCG commission, BATAAN and her crew served with distinction in the Caribbean and San Francisco. Lacson would earn a Congressional Medal of Honor and go on to found the Iloilo Maritime Academy, now known as the John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University.