A 21′ (6.4m) modern lapstrake sloop
- LOA: 21′ 1″ (6.42m)
- LWL: 20′ 5″ (6.22m)
- Beam: 7′-8″ (2.34m)
- Displacement (2/3 load): 3,640 lbs (1651 kg)
- Weight on trailer: 2,740 lbs (1,243 kg)
- Ballast: Total 1,456 lbs (660 kg)
- Fixed: 956 lbs (434 kg)
- Water: 500 lbs (227 kg)
- Sail Area: 255 sq ft (23.69 m2)
- D/L: 191
- SA/D: 17.25
- Ballast/D: 0.40
- Auxiliary: 5-kW 48v Thunderstruck electric motor
- Batteries: Four 12v, 100-Ah LiFePo4, and one 12v, 100-Ah house battery (also used for filling and emptying water ballast tank)
This 3-D animation is of the concept boat SWEET CHARIOT, a 21′ trailerable pocket cruiser that, while small, stable, and exciting, can even carry a dinghy on deck. Featured in the Sketchbook department of WoodenBoat magazine No. 278 (January/February 2021).
The boat’s plumb bow and raised deck maximize interior volume. The balanced rudder maintains some effectiveness even with the blade raised. The diminutive dinghy stows neatly above the companionway. Straight waterlines forward and a displacement-to-length ratio of 191 promise good performance. The centerboard is almost invisible inside the boat as the trunk is built into the settee front.
Laurie McGowan is a Nova Scotia–based boat designer with a diverse on- and below-water work history. He specializes in energy-efficient commercial and pleasure boats. More of his work may be found at mcgowanmarinedesign.com.
Do you have a boat concept you’d like to see Laurie McGowan develop for Sketchbook? If so, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your concept should be no longer than 500 words.