Sample Articles From WoodenBoat Magazine

  • Text and photographs by Jennifer Eaton Larrabee

    In August 2013, Peter Kass began building our lobsterboat, RESOLUTE.
  • by Walter Ansel

    Because of careful attention for six decades by Dr. George Gilbert, her only previous owner, the 1954 Newbert & Wallace lobster yacht ALBATROSS only needed deck, cabin top, and cockpit sole resheathing when she came to a new owner last year.
  • by Douglas Brooks

    After a thorough restoration at Darling’s Boatworks in Charlotte, Vermont, MADDY SUE’s home port is on Lake Champlain, but she returned to Maine waters for a time in the summer of 2013. Built by Chester Clement on Mount Desert Island in 1932 for lobstering and fishing, she was influential in the development of the type of pleasure boats much loved by the island’s summer population.
  • by Bruce Stannard

    Photographs by Kraig Carlström

    In 1924, the Norwegian wine merchant and yachtsman Alfred W.G. Larsen commissioned Johan Anker to design and build an 8-Meter-class yacht that he hoped would be fast enough to beat the best of the British boats racing on the Solent. Anker responded by drawing a beautifully proportioned long and slender sloop to be named VARG, the Norwegian word for wolf.
  • by Lauren Simmons

    VERA LEE—née FANCY STUFF—is one of a handful of Bunker and Ellis–built wide-body lobsterboats. She was transformed into a luxury powerboat. Built in 1974, FANCY STUFF was restored and re-outfitted by Jarvis Newman and Ed Gray at their boatshop on Great Cranberry Island, Maine.
  • Text and photographs by Nic Compton

    Ireland’s Water Wag–class dinghy pioneered the concept of one-design racing in 1887, and remains popular today. The Water Wag class began as a double-ended, or “Scotch-sterned” boat; by 1898, holes in the class rules led to the design of a transom-sterned replacement.
  • Text by Sean Koomen
    Photographs by Greg Gilbert

    TRIXTER, designed by H.C. Hanson, was launched on April 21, 1934, at the Prothero & McDonald boatyard in Seattle, Washington. The owner, Foster Gibson, would have been well known to both the yard and the designer, since he managed the Edison Storage Battery Supply Company, a vendor of marine batteries.
  • by Stan Grayson

    A familiar sight in Florida waters, STING RAY V (today renamed STINGRAY) proved to be an able passagemaker on her many voyages between Fort Lauderdale or Boca Grande and New England.
  • by Tyler Fields

    The art of gilding—applying thin sheets of gold leaf onto a surface—has been in practice since the ancient Egyptians and has been used in everything from book bindings to architectural features. On boats, gold leaf is commonly used for names, but it’s also common to see a gold covestripe or decorative element.
  • Text by Bruno Cianci
    Photographs by Guido Cantini

    TAKATANI, a 19′ yawl built to Iain Oughtred’s Eu Na Mara design, sails in a light breeze before the ruins of Urquhart Castle while transiting the Caledonia Canal in Scotland.